Friday, July 14, 2017

Resilience

My road to #IronGirlLynnell has been detoured.  The Orthopedic surgeon suspects I have some small tears or possible vein issues, the details will be forthcoming after the MRI scan and venous doppler ultrasound. The first word that comes to mind when I reflect on this opportunity to heal is resilience.
According to dictionary.com resilience has two definitions:

Resilience:

  1. the power or ability to return to the original form, position, etc., after being bent, compressed or stretched; elasticity.
  2. ability to recover readily from illness, depression, adversity or the like; buoyancy.
In fact, my resilience has been tested in multiple facets of my life in the last few weeks.  


I have been working to reach my second goal as a triathlete:  complete Iron Girl Columbia on August 20, 2017, while raising money for the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults.  I set out with 12-week training schedule and a fund raising page with a $3000 goal https://ulman.z2systems.com/IronGirlLynnell, only to find myself sidelined 5 weeks before the race.  I tried to negotiate with the doctor to see I could be back to 100% in time, he simple responded, "our first priority is your health".  So I asked for a note for the race coordinator and started on my road to recovery.  Family, friends and co-workers I have shared this news with, have responded with kind words of encouragement.

I honestly feel my ability to recover from adversity, i.e., resilience, has been challenged at a higher rate than usual lately. These test of my resilience extend beyond the #IronGirlLynnell detour,  but this like the other examples, where I've faced challenges, bumps in the road, a blip on the radar, I command the strength from within to maintain a resolve to recover.  It may take some mental time, in this case some physical time too, but I will recover and move forward to accomplish the goals I set.

In the meantime and in between time, though I'm tempted to eat ice cream and Bon Bons, I've committed to continue to eat healthier and work on getting "Angela Basset arms" via pushups, while I follow doctor's orders to get back to 100%

Sidelined
Down but not out,
Lynnell

"Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew." - Cicely Tyson

No comments:

Post a Comment