Saturday, January 19, 2013

Nothing nice to say

How many times have you said or heard, "My mother used to say, If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."?  I have over and over and have often said that statement myself in place of saying something that isn't too nice.  I have even approached this blog in the same vain telling a friend that I try to only write when I'm able to give something positive.  To take that statement a bit further, I believe once you put something out there, you can't take it back.  Now I understand people say things they wish they could take back and that's what an apology is for but the reality is once it's out there you don't know if an apology will remove it from the heart of the person impacted by it.  So for me, I try to only put out there what I mean.  If anything I do a lot more of not saying anything at all. So why this topic now, well holding things in has been a trigger for me over the years even including right now as I type.  Instead of cursing out who I need to curse out or telling off who I need to tell off, I try internally to diffuse my anger, disappointment or whatever negative emotion I'm struggling with.  Then the comfort food calls to comfort me because Mac n Cheese doesn't talk back and is there for my enjoyment.  Now I try to use better comfort food alternatives from an extra workout in the gym to relieve stress or retail clearance rack shopping which always boosts my mood when a new smaller size fits.  But I'm human and for the last week I've used food and alcohol, YES, believe it!  Though I haven't eaten Mac n Cheese or Bacon (which I feel great about),  I know that facing what is stressing me is the only way to a healthier me. Whether I will say those not so nice things or keep them to myself is yet to be seen but don't count me out.  There is power in words, I'm just trying to make sure I exercise my power responsibly.

Thinking,

Lynnell

"I have learned people will forget what you said, forget you did but people will never forget how you made them feel" - Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment