Sunday, January 20, 2013

Putting in work

When things don't go as planned, you roll with the punches.  Sometimes pleasantly, other times miserably but you adjust and you move forward.

On more than a few occasions, my trainer had me run up a set of stairs make a lap past workout machines and then down a back set of stairs.  He stood at the bottom of the steps, saying "pick it up" as I repeated this five times.  But on one particular day, he changed it up a bit.  Each time I went up the steps he handed me something different.  The first set a pair of dumb bells for me to run with, the next time a 30lb bag to carry in front of me and then the third time a 20lb bag across my shoulders.  At the end of the third round, I thought I was done but he added 20 squats and then burst my bubble and told me do it all again so I repeated the weighted trio.   Now there is nothing I enjoy about any of these stair infused laps with or without additional weight so I won't even purger myself and indicate anything remotely amenable about this routine BUT (yes there is a but) I understand that they are a necessary evil that without his orders I wouldn't even think to endeavor let alone "pick it up".

This last week has been rough, my eating regime thwarted and my exercise routine disrupted but as I prepare for bed tonight, I know tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity to start putting in some work, another chance to get back on track and get it right.

Headed to stronger and time to put up or shut up,
Lynnell

No comments:

Post a Comment