Thursday, October 18, 2012

"Your butt looks bigger"

This morning I woke up nervous about how I'm stacking up against the competition.  I realize as my "After" date draws nearer, I really want to WIN this thing.  Not knowing or seeing exactly who I'm competing against feels like I'm competing in a blind folded race.  I headed to the gym for my usual Thursday workout trying to battle my mind against doubts in my efforts and felt I was winning that battle.

So later today I got to see my loving sister and she loudly and proudly told me, "Your butt looks bigger." Then my supportive younger cousin chimed in and said, "But that's not a bad thing".  As I looked at them perplexed thinking to myself:
  1. I've been at the gym nearly every day since the end of August and sometimes twice in a day; 
  2. I've restricted what I'm eating to basically a VEGAN diet; 
  3. I've gotten on the scale routinely to make sure it's moving in the down direction; 
  4. I've NOT eaten any cake, candy, cookies or other treats let alone REAL comfort food in months; 
  5. AND even on my birthday (Sept. 19), I gave away a slice of chocolate cake that my students gave me and revealed to a class of 90 students why I couldn't eat it or any of the candy given to me by yet another student....
I took a deep breath as these thoughts simultaneously ran through my head and then my sister quickly followed up with, "it's because your legs are getting smaller" and then my cousin added, "and your waist is too."  So quickly I realized this statement was a compliment to my efforts verses a condemnation of them.  Then we continued to talk about our family gene pool and how my "big ole butt" may or may not turn into buns of steel, L0L, but my body is getting smaller.  Turns out they made me feel encouraged and empowered to finish what I started.  I came home ate my Veggie Blend, Veggie Burger and Hummus, proud of my efforts.  

12 Days Left in My Two Month Challenge,
Lynnell 

"Your butt looks bigger..." - Bernita

No comments:

Post a Comment